Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Risks, Prevention & Maintenance 

CO.png

As winter approaches, it’s crucial to understand the import of servicing your gas appliances and the hazardous risks that Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning poses. Known as the ‘silent household killer’, CO is imperceptible to sight, smell and taste and it can slowly leak throughout your home whilst you remain unaware. In the latest Metro Property Management blog, we unpack all you need to know about Carbon Monoxide and how you can prevent leakage in your home or investment property. 

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas emitted from faulty, damaged or poorly maintained heaters. Commonly described as a ‘silent killer’, CO is colourless, odourless, tasteless and a deadly flammable gas. You could be living in your home with CO leakage for a considerable amount of time without even realising the potential health risks and fire hazards it poses.

Why Get a Service?

Carbon Monoxide leakage is lethal. It can cause chronic illness and - in some cases - death. CO leakage can happen in any home or building with gas heating appliances – even in modern homes. After the sad death of children Tyler and Chase Robinson made national news headlines in May 2010, urgent warnings about faulty gas heaters led to greater public awareness about the serious problem of CO poisoning. The Robinson family began the Chase and Tyler Foundation dedicated to providing national preventative health and safety efforts concerning gas and fuel-burning appliance safety and CO poisoning prevention. 

Do you Need a Service?

Energy Safe Australia recommends all gas heaters to be serviced and tested for Carbon Monoxide at least every two years. A licensed plumber or gas fitter will ensure all components are working correctly and your heater is running efficiently without hazard. While a CO test is your top priority, a service should also include a burner and gas pressure check, fan and general clean, a check for signs of heat damage and a thermostat test. A typical heater service should take 1-2 hours.

What CO Signs Should I Watch Out For?

While appliance servicing is recommended regularly, there are several signs that indicate a potential CO leak. If flames appear yellow or brown, you note soot stains on or around the heater, heat damage on the walls or the heater, the heater appears overheated or you note the irregular flashing of pilot lights, contact a gas specialist – pronto!

At Metro Property Management, our expert team perform regular health checks on your property to ensure all is in tip-top shape. They will inform you should preventative maintenance measures and repairs need to be undertaken. Serving over 260 Melbourne suburbs and counting - experience our unique property management services today.